Partner Avrohom Gefen heads Vishnick McGovern Milizio’s Employment Law and Commercial Litigation practices and is a key member of the Alternative Dispute Resolution Practice.
Mr. Gefen focuses on commercial and employment litigation, with extensive litigation experience representing businesses and individuals in a wide array of matters before federal and state courts and administrative tribunals. These include the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, United States Labor Department, New York State Labor Department, New York State Commission on Human Rights, and New York City Commission on Human Rights.
Mr. Gefen also advises employers on a variety of topics, including drafting and revising employee handbooks, personnel policies, employee discipline, offers of employment, separation agreements, termination decisions, and compliance with federal, state and local statutes including the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), and the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
Mr. Gefen has extensively written about and been interviewed in the press on business and employment matters, including Bloomberg Law, Law 360, News 12 New York, News 12 New Jersey, Newsday, Long Island Business News, Long Island Business, Longisland.com, The Island Now, Queens Bar Bulletin, and Nassau lawyer.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- New York, 2004
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 2006
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 2006
- J.D., Fordham University School of Law, 2003
- Dean’s List; Archibald Murray Public Service Award; board member, Moot Court; member, Fordham University International Law Journal.
- B.A., Political Science (minor in Business), Touro College, 1999
- Summa Cum Laude; Touro College Political Science Award.
MEMBERSHIPS & ASSOCIATIONS
- New York State Bar Association; Labor & Employment and Commercial & Federal Litigation Sections
- Queens County Bar Association
- Nassau County Bar Association
- Board member, Brandeis Association
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
- New York Metro Super Lawyers, Business Litigation, 2014 – 2016 (Rising Star); 2017 – Present
- Finalist, The New York Enterprise Report “Best Attorney,” 2012
- Nominee, LI Herald “Top Lawyers of Long Island” Labor & Employment, 2019, 2021
PRO BONO & COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- Board of Trustees, Congregation Chesed V’Emes in Bayswater, New York
- Advisory Board, Rutgers University Jewish Experience