Partner Joseph Trotti is the head of Vishnick McGovern Milizio LLP’s Matrimonial and Family Law Practice and founding partner of the VMM Family InstituteSM. He is a leader of the firm’s Surrogacy, Adoption, and Assisted Reproduction, LGBTQ Representation, and COVID-19 Legal Assistance Practices.
Mr. Trotti created the VMM Family Institute to foster effective communication and cooperation in matrimonial and family law matters. Recognizing that emotional and various other issues cannot be addressed by the legal system, he has pioneered the use of Collaborative Law principles, an approach used in corporate dispute resolution, in domestic cases.
His practice empowers families to make informed decisions regarding their future while avoiding the steep legal fees associated with courtroom battles, and more importantly—the accompanying emotional harm.
For his pioneering work, the New York Law Journal named him a “2019 Trailblazer,” one of a handful of attorneys statewide selected for the prestigious recognition. He was also named the “2019 Top Lawyer of Long Island” in the Family Law category by theLI Herald and a 2020 Super Lawyers "Top Rated Family Law Attorney."
Mr. Trotti possesses over 35 years of trial experience in custody, divorce, and support matters, including several landmark cases. He has carved out a reputation as an innovative litigator and compassionate counsel, with a strong record of successful judgments and settlements for his clients.
His work also includes estate and commercial real estate litigation, involving will challenges, trust mismanagement, guardianship contests, and other estate plan disputes.
Mr. Trotti additionally has extensive experience representing LGBTQ individuals in matters unique to the community, including marriage and domestic partnership, divorce and separation, and adoption and custody. He is the executive producer of Left Out in America: Legislating Life, Love and LGBT, which won “Best Directorial Debut of a Documentary” in the 2011 New York International Film Festival.
Mr. Trotti is the partner-in-charge overseeing the firm’s marketing and business development initiatives, working closely with the department’s director and all attorneys. He is heavily involved in pro bono and nonprofit community work, with a strong passion for public school reform.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
COVID-19 Legal Assistance
Surrogacy, Adoption, and Assisted Reproduction
VMM Family InstituteSM
- New York, 1984
- New York Supreme Court, 1984
- New York Family Court
- New York Surrogate’s Court
- Kings County Supreme Court
- Kings County Family Court
- Kings County Surrogate’s Court
- Queens County Supreme Court
- Queens County Family Court
- Queens County Surrogate’s Court
- Nassau County Supreme Court
- Nassau County Family Court
- Nassau County Surrogate’s Court
- Nassau County District Court
- Suffolk County Supreme Court
- Suffolk County Family Court
- Suffolk County Surrogate’s Court, 1996
- J.D., St. John's School of Law, 1983
- B.A., Political Science, Queens College, City University of New York, 1980
MEMBERSHIPS & ASSOCIATIONS
- New York State Bar Association; Family Law Section
- Queens County Bar Association; Family Law Committee
- Nassau County Bar Association; Matrimonial Law Committee, LGBTQ Committee
- Suffolk County Bar Association; Pro Bono Committee
- Latino Lawyers Bar Association
- Columbian Lawyers Association of Nassau County
- Queens County Women’s Bar Association
- New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Long Island City Partnership
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
- New York Law Journal “2019 Trailblazer”
- Super Lawyers "Top Rated Family Law Attorney," 2020
- LI Herald “2019 Top Lawyer of Long Island,” Family Law
- Avvo, 5-star reviewed member
- New York Law Journal “New York’s Top Rated LGBTQ Representation Lawyers 2020” (practice)
- LI Herald “2019 Top Lawyers of Long Island,” Civil Rights (LGBTQ Representation practice)
- LI Herald “2019 Top Lawyers of Long Island,” Pro Bono (LGBTQ Representation practice)
- New York International Film Festival 2011 “Best Directorial Debut of a Documentary” (executive producer, Left Out in America: Legislating Life, Love and LGBT)
PRO BONO & COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- Nassau County Supreme Court Matrimonial Pro Bono Panel
- Nassau County LGBTQ Committee
- Queens County Supreme Court Pro Bono Panel
- Suffolk County Matrimonial Committee Pro Bono Panel
- Legal Outreach Attorney Mentoring Program
- Board of directors and legal chair, Forest Hills Gardens
- Co-chair, Forest Hills Youth Activities Association
- New York Families for Autistic Children
- Multiple Sclerosis Fundraising Committee
- Child Abuse Prevention Services Fundraising Committee
- CUNY Pridefest 2019, sponsor
- Queens College, GLASA (Gay Lesbian and Straight Alliance) club, sponsor
- Queens College, City University of New York, volunteer speaker
- Former president of the board, Community Education Council