James Burdi is a partner in Vishnick McGovern Milizio LLP's Wills, Trusts, and Estates and Elder Law Practices, concentrating in Trust and Estate Planning and Administration.
He advises and assists clients in preparing both simple and complex estate plans, including aspects of tax planning and planning for families with special needs. He also represents clients in probate proceedings, Surrogate’s accountings, and other matters involving trust and estate administration.
Before joining VMM in 2011, Mr. Burdi led his own firm in Garden City, New York, first in partnership and later as a sole practitioner. Before entering the practice of law, he worked as a title examiner and clearance officer with City Title Insurance Company.
Mr. Burdi is a former counsel to the Advisory Committee of the New York State Law Revision Commission for the Estates, Powers and Trusts Law and the Surrogate’s Court Procedure Act.
He is a frequent lecturer in continuing legal education at St. John’s School of Law and addresses professional and student audiences on various legal topics. He also speaks before parent associations and other community groups on estate and special needs planning.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- New York, 1980
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1980
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1980
- J.D., St. John's School of Law, 1979
- B.A., Government and Politics, St. John's University, 1976
MEMBERSHIPS & ASSOCIATIONS
- New York State Bar Association
- Nassau County Bar Association
- Columbian Lawyers Association of Nassau County (past president, 1993–1994)
- Kiwanis Club of Garden City (past president, 1999–2000)
- Society of Mutual Aid of Bitetto, Council Member
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
Highest peer review rating, given to 10% of all attorneys
PRO BONO & COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- Volunteer, Kiwanis Club of Garden City
- Volunteer, Society of Mutual Aid of Bitetto